Techno Vinyls Records ’ series of interviews, we talk to producers who have releases on our label.
Interview with Juan Campos
What does producing mean to you? When did you start your music career and what motivated you?
- I have always seen musical production as a different way of communicating, of expressing what we feel at that moment. Well, like every artist I think that the attraction for music starts very early, in my case I jumped into the electronic scene in my region very young, after many years the scene degraded a lot until it disappeared almost completely, so it was the perfect moment to be interested in music production, which is something that always caught my attention.
How have your releases inspired you throughout your career?
- My inspiration is basically proportional to my state of mind and my day-to-day experiences, I am not guided by a musical standard.
Do you like to collaborate with other artists? What do you think about remixing? Do you like to remix or do you like to have your music remixed?
- I love doing remixes, I think it is a great way to contribute your ideas to another concept of another artist, it is something fabulous, in the same way that I also like to be remixed, in short I think that collaboration with other artists is something necessary
How do you choose a title for your tracks? Do you think a well-chosen track and EP title matters?
- Normally I always try that the name of the track and the ep have in the name of something significant that has to do with some event in my life, or some way of thinking specifically about a subject, I rarely let this subject go unnoticed
Is a well-designed cover important to you?
- Always, I love that everything is a perfectly harmonized set, I think it gives a more concrete vision of what is going to reach people.
How do you choose record labels (what is a good label for you and what are your expectations)?
- Normally, as I said in the previous question, I like that everything is very careful, both the graphic and the musical, that they have a regularity and good work dynamics, currently I believe that trau-ma is a label with these characteristics. My expectations today is to continue enjoying what I do but above all to continue improving my music without falling into stereotypes.
How do you see track sales in the digital millennium data flood (for example: how do you see the digital sales, promotion tracks, illegal downloads etc.)?
- I believe that digital sales are a fast way to get music to people, nowadays with the internet revolution and unfortunately with the quality of the sale of physical material, a very wide range has been opened in this sector. Unfortunately there is also an underworld with music piracy, I think this affects the proper development of many labels and artists a lot.
What are your future plans for making tracks?
- As I have told you before, I don’t want to stick to stereotypes and fashions, my main objective is to continue improving my music, and trust that my inspiration remains fresh.
Thank you for accepting our interview request, we wish you much more success in your producer work!
- Thanks to you for giving me the opportunity to express what I think and to be able to convey it to people.
VINYL ► Juan Campos – Arctic Shift