Techno Vinyls Records ’ series of interviews, we talk to producers who have releases on our label.
Interview with Ricardo Piedra
What does producing mean to you? When did you start your music career and what motivated you?
- Producing is a most important self – expression for me.a spiritual activity, every day. If I can’t sit in front of the computer, an idea still spins in my brain. Something always wants to come out. I don’t think this is something that comes from me. I’m more of a channel. Something universal flows through me and slams through my own filter in the form of music.
How have your releases inspired you throughout your career?
- My career started in the early 90s. In 91, me and my friend started making techno music. That was my first band.I was already very interested in all kinds of music, but from 88 I was infected with early acid, house, and all the modern and innovative music of that time. My father was a musician. guitarist, violinist subconsciously certainly influenced
Do you like to collaborate with other artists? What do you think about remixing? Do you like to remix or do you like to have your music remixed?
- I played more in a band than in a solo, it’s a great thing that the spirituality of several people is combined in one work. This also applies to remixes, even if we don’t know each other. Somehow you have to feel each other’s vibrations.
How do you choose a title for your tracks? Do you think a well-chosen track and EP title matters?
- The title is very important. Someday I know what I want to write music about. By then, the title might already be in front of the music. Then there’s when just one jam session goes very well and you need to find some title. At times like this, I often shape the music to better express the title. I also write lyrics. In this case it is easier to choose the title than in an instrumental piece, where there are only moods, musical colors, feelings that are difficult to describe in words
Is a well-designed cover important to you?
- Very important. The music is filled with visuality. Nowdays, on the social media many times people see the cover before they hear the music, so no matter what visual stimuli you attract them to the music
How do you choose record labels (what is a good label for you and what are your expectations)?
- I look at it from several directions. First of all I’ll see what their repertoire is. Who do they work with, and does my work fit them.the other direction, though, is how popular it is, how much it advances my career. Therefore, it is also important.It is very important too that this personal good relationship is established with the owner or manager.The most uplifting was when I wrote down on a piece of paper my favorite labes about where it would be good to be there, and several of them contacted me themselves. either for a remix or for an original
How do you see track sales in the digital millennium data flood (for example: how do you see the digital sales, promotion tracks, illegal downloads etc.)?
- I started in early 90’s I remember the cd sales, This was already much less than when only vinyl existed. Worldwide. Then I remember seeing the first Sony mp3 walkman commercial on TV. I told my partners, we fucked up. But not just us, but the whole music society.Unfortunately, I was right.In the early 2000s, it was still possible to make money from a digital releases. today, these sales have fallen to a tenth. It’s a very wrong direction when advocates, and right defenders target social media shares. Free downloadable music sites should be sanctioned much more severely.
What are your future plans for making tracks?
- I always have a lot of plans with different projects. 3 solo, 2 bands, and always have temporary works as ghostproducer in a wide palette. I can continue as long as I can. I will focus more on international gigs!
Thank you for accepting our interview request, we wish you much more success in your producer work!
- Thanks a lot for the continous trust, and the opportunities TVR!
VINYL ► Ricardo Piedra – Lava
VINYL ► Ricardo Piedra – Wings Of Wind